Saturday, July 18, 2009

De Griek (Leiden, Netherlands)

Steenstraat 21, 2312 BT Leiden, T: 071-512-81-55


This Greek snack bar opened when I was still a student in Leiden, years and years ago, and was the cause of many a pouind extra packed on my no longer tight body. Over the years they have opened a couple of other places in Leiden, but this one remains my favorite.


De Griek (The Greek) is most liked for its meats: gyros, souvlaki, and suzuki; but they also have moussake, daily made, Greek salads, etc. My favorite is the mixed grill, De Griek which has all three meats, fries, salad, and tzatziki. Heavenly! This time, however, I settled for a pita gyros (€ 5,00), which comes with cabbage, tomato, and tzatziki. Although (because?) their pitas are greasier than most, they are also tastier. What an absolute delight. If only I had a De Griek in Plainfield, IN.


VERDICT: 92/100
As far as Greek fast food joints go, De Griek is the best I have ever eaten. The gyros comes straight off the skewer, the tzatziki is delicious, and the portions are accurate. I can't wait to be back for the mixed grill De Griek!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, little bro. De griek used to be better. I know you're not in Leiden very often these days but next time I'll take you to Omonia on the Haarlemmerstraat.

    Great site.

    ReplyDelete