Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Grill (Athens, GA)

171 College Avenue, Athens, GA 30601, T: 706-543-4770
 
 


The Grill is an Athens institution! It has been a landmark of downtown and is open 24/7. Everyone eats at The Grill: townies, hipsters, students, tourists. Even though it opened (only) in 1981, it has the looks and feels of a 1950s diner. It serves burgers, fries and shakes.


I get the Pepper Supreme Burger ($5.49): a one-third pound chuck on a kaiser bun with seven-pepper blend, lettuce, tomato, onion, jalapeños. The meat is the best part of the burger, which overall is good. Fresh chuck cooked medium on the griddle. The bun is a bit too thick and dry, while the condiments are ok (jarred jalapeños, so little heat). The famous home fries are thick, short and wrinkle-cut. They taste more like fried potatoes than fries. Today, they are lukewarm.



The best thing about the Grill, however, is the dessert. I had the homemade apple pie an earlier time (delicious). Today I treat myself to a Chocolate Milkshake ($4.99), which is big and perfect! Milky, thick, not too sweet. More like a dessert than a drink. Can easily be shared by two.



VERDICT: 84/100
The Grill is an old-school diner with good quality food. The burgers are better than the fries, but the real strength is desert; both the milkshakes and the homemade warm apple pie!

1 comment:

  1. I’ll take your word for it. Next time I’m in the area, I’ll definitely check The Grill out. I do love my desserts, so it’s a good thing that they serve my all time fave: apple-pies. Although I’d prefer BBQ to a burger any day, I would try that too. Care to review other places in south Michigan that serves BBQ, burgers and possibly, apple pies?

    Lindsay @ rjsgrillon36.com

    ReplyDelete