Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dickie Jo's (Eugene, OR)

Ste A 201 E 13th Ave, Eugene, OR 97401-3284, T: 541-636-4488


Just before I leave Eugene, the new burger joint that everyone was talking about opened. Portrayed as a 1950s diner annex upscale burger chain, this place is actually brand new and original to Eugene. However, it is from the people behind Mucho’s Gusto and Le Fina Taqueria, so one can expect more branches to follow (at least in the Eugene area).


I first came to Dickie Jo's on a Friday afternoon, around 2.30, and it was very busy (as it has been every time I passed it). It took at least 10 minutes before I could order and an additional 15 minutes before my food finally turned up. Clearly no fast food. When I returned the same evening, around 9 (I'll do anything for my readers ;-), it was less busy, and it took roughly 5 and 10 minutes, respectively.


The first time I took a regular burger w/fries ($6,29), but as I could hardly taste the burger over the salad and condiments, I decided to go for a double burger w/fries with bacon ($7.77) and a custom mixer of chocolate chip cookie/triple chocolate cookie/reese's pb cups ($3.99). As the first time, the fries were salty and soggy, while the burger was at best okay, but definitely not worth the money. The mixer was sweet.


VERDICT: 68/100
When Dickie Jo's finally opened, I was really enthusiastic. The place looks authentic, even if it is clearly a 'ocncept', and probably the red-white tiles reminded me of Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Unfortunately, they are no; in fact, they are nowhere near. Leaving aside the decorum, Dickie Jo's is an average burger join with extraordinary prices.

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog...I was looking for info about Voodoo Donuts opening up in Eugene. I started reading through your reviews and instantly knew that you would have reviewed Dickie Jo's! I am happy to report to you that they have perfected their fries! I encountered the same soggy mess on my first visit, now they come out crisp and perfectly golden! Hope you'll give it another try...and they are opening a second location across from VRC next to Mucho Gusto (big surprise!) and there are talks of a Springfield location.

    ReplyDelete