Sunday, April 19, 2015

Girismata (Thessaloniki, Greece)

Agiou Dimitriou 22, Thessaloniki, Greece, T: 231-025-3545
 


This small pita place is recommended to me by the guy at the hotel lobby, who says it is nothing fancy, but the food is really good. Sounds like my kind of place. As I walk over, firefighters are entering the building next door, but I don’t let them distract me from my mission.

 
I order a Pita Gyros, which is just 2.60. In Thessaloniki a pita gyros does not come (standard) with tzatziki sauce. In fact, the toasted thick round pita comes with pork meat, shaved off the huge skewer, fresh onion and tomato, French fries (!), and mustard and ketchup! I remember being appalled the first time I was in Thessaloniki, more than 20 years ago. I am still shocked, and deep down disappointed, but know it actually tastes good. And it does. The meat is fresh and full of flavor, while the sauces give it a bit of kick. Good stuff.
 
I returned a couple of days later and had another pita gyros, but this time classic, i.e. tzatziki instead of mustard and ketchup. It was even better!



VERDICT: 91/100
Girismata is one of the best places for a real pita gyros, Thessaloniki style or classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment