Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Old Salty Dog (Sarasota, FL)

1601 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL, T: 941-388-4311


I saw The Old Salty Dog on Man v. Food, which mentioned merely the Old Salty Dog (see below). There are two locations (Siesta Key and City Island), both beautiful, this one overlooking the ocean. We set out at the deck, going through the surprisingly diverse menu. Clearly this is not a normal pig out spot.


For starters we ordered conch fritters ($9.99), which came with mango salsa and a sweet chili mango sauce, and a special, peeled shrimp, which came with an amazing coating. I wasn't too happy with the fritters (though they really are not my thing), but my wife devoured the shrimp and said they were the best she ever ate.


For entrees she ordered Chickpea & Edamame Salad ($9.99) with grilled shrimp (+$6.99), which was amazing. I went for the signature dish, and only real claim to pig out status, the Old Salty Dog ($7.99), a 1/4 pound hot dog batter and deep fried. I didn't use any of the many toppings Adam piled up, to ensure that I would have the authentic experience. I just put on some chopped onions, relish, ketchup and mustard. The dog was very crispy and tasted good, but not really exceptional. The fries looked good but were undercooked.


VERDICT: 87/100
The Old Salty Dog is not really a pig out spot; their signature dish is fun, but not a remarkable snack. As a seafood restaurant, however, The Old Salty Dog is a great place!

No comments:

Post a Comment