Thursday, February 5, 2015

California Cantina & Restaurant (Santiago, Chile)


Las Urbinas 44/56, Providencia, Santiago, Chile, T: 2-361-10-56


California Cantina & Restaurant seems to be Santiago’s favorite (American) sports bar according to both locals and tourists. It gets great reviews online, so I decided to go there to watch the college football National Championship game. As I arrive, half an hour before kick-off, the place is already buzzing outside and in (it is a beautiful summer evening). There are far more Chileans than Americans, which I hadn’t expected. The menu is classic Californian sports pub: flatbread pizzas, burgers, tacos, wings. Unfortunately, on this evening they are out of almost everything except of burgers and flatbreads… no nachos for me.

I start with “La Loca Caliente” (Ps 4900 / ca. $8), a shortbread pizza with ‘red sauce’, pepperoni, pineapple, jalapenos, and cilantro (I leave Mozzarella off). The
Thin crust is a bit dry, but the pizza is overall quite tasty (despite lacking cheese) and has a good kick.
 

I later order the 3 Mini Burgers (Ps 6000 / ca. $9.50), which allows you to choose whatever combination of the eight options. I get one Maverick’s Big Wave (bacon, jalapenos & BBQ sauce), one Surf City U.S.A. (pineapple & teriyaki), and one San Francisco (grilled mushrooms). All come on a (bit too) big fresh bun and taste good, if a bit alike (quite sweet). The fries are pretty good.


VERDICT: 83/100
Good foreign version of American sports bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment