Sunday, October 7, 2012

Hot Dog Harbour (Hilton Head Island, SC)

1 North Forest Beach Drive  Hilton Head Island, SC 29928, T: 843-785-5400

 

We stumbled upon Hot Dog Harbour by accident, as I was looking for a (light) midday snack. I love hot dog places and while all shops on Hilton Head Island look the same, this place had a nice snack bar feeling inside. They opened in 2009 and serve a broad variety of hot dogs and some burgers.


Although I wasn't looking for a challenge, I was directly gripped by the "Titanic Dog Challenge." The Titanic Dog is a quarter pound sausage with mustard, chili, onions, cucumber, tomato, relish, slaw, jalapeños, Harbour Sauce, grated cheddar cheese, Texas Pete® hot sauce, a fried egg 'n bacon! It weighs approx. 2 lbs. and you have to eat it without a fork and knife and no napkins. I ate it without the cheddar and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was actually one of the best hot dogs I've ever eaten and the messiness of eating it with your hands only added to the pleasure. It only took me a couple of minutes, and I secretly wondered whether I could eat another one. But, as my wife was sitting next to me, I decided against it and simply had my picture taken for the Titanic Wall of Fame. :-)


VERDICT: 93/100
The Hot Dog Parlour is the type of hot dog place every town should have; locally run by people who love their business and come up with delicious challenges to make their customers feel good about stuffing themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment