Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Café Bruges (Carlisle, PA)


16 N Pitt Street, Carlisle, PA 17013



Café Bruges is a restaurant that serves “Belgian Food & Drink” that is situated in downtown Carlisle, some 15 minutes outside of Harrisburg, PA. It prides itself in its selection of (imported) Belgian beers and, in particular, its burgers and fries, but it serves various Belgian specialties, like mussels and stoemp. Given that it is the number 1 restaurant in Carlisle, it is not really a pig out spot, but given that it’s specialty is real Belgian fries, we will make an exception.



I get the Steak Frites ($21), after making sure that I will get enough fries. As I am waiting I can smell the authentic aroma of fries… could it be? As the food finally arrives – although it feels like forever, given that I am so curious, the wait was not long at all – it is confirmed that the waitress wasn’t lying. I get a whole puntzak (pointy bag, just as the real frituurs in Belgium serve them). They come with homemade mayo and I decide to order an additional sauce (+$1): Asian-style spicy mayo. The Belgian Fries are out of the world; or, perhaps more accurately, as if I am at a good frituur in Belgium. Truly the best Belgian Fries I have eaten outside of Belgium! Thick cut, crunchy outside, soft and potato-y inside… unbelievable! The steak is also absolutely excellent and even the green beens with onion are delicious. This is one of the best meals I have ever eaten in the US.


VERDICT: 99/100
Truly authentic Belgian food. I only regret I didn’t have time for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment